Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Reflection on My Adventures in Grown-Up Land

I only have 10 (10!!) days left at work before I leave and start down this (kinda;)) new path of school.  While I am so grateful for the experience I've gained and the clients I've had the privilege to work with, there have been more than a few things that have struck me as imperative to remember and I now consider myself warned for the next go-round in Grown-Up Land.  Some valuable things I've learned:

~ Ethics are a sweet little dream academia makes up 
that is rarely enforced in the "real world."

~In further detail, ethics are actually a joke.  As in haha funny.
Especially when brought up in meetings.

~ Nobody is going to stick up for you except YOURSELF.

~ Boundaries are very, very important.

~That said, NOT bringing your work home is virtually impossible.

~ Never accept a job that does not pay you for being "on-call."

~ Just because an individual identifies as a "grown-up" 
does not mean they identify as "professional."

~ Do your job and do it well.

 ~Don't try to do other people's jobs well.
Taking on more lets the inadequate individuals slip by on credit you deserve.

~ You always have more to learn.

~ Even if you work at the most vile, horrible establishment,
rise above it and keep those bridges intact.

This may sound like sour grapes, but those that are close to me know that I've had a pretty "educational" year in Grown-Up Land.  I want to reiterate how thankful I am that I have had a job in this recession and that I was able to work with some of the most inspiring and selfless clients and coworkers.  I also want to emphasize how fortunate I am to have a wildly supportive husband, family, and circle of friends that have truly carried me through one of the toughest years of my life.  I love you.  I know that I haven't been able to express that eloquently or often enough, but you are my reason for being.  And trying.  And dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for checking out Goldteef! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...