Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Natural Beauty: Yogurt Face Masks

Mmm!  I love Greek yogurt and honey for breakfast and, as luck would have it, it also makes a phenomenal face mask!  Yogurt has been used for hundreds of years for beauty, so why stop now?  The lactic acid in the yogurt can help calm inflammation and redness, while the probiotics are amazing for cleansing and battling acne.  The fat in the yogurt is also really moisturizing, but it won't clog pores, so it's safe to use on all skin types.  With a few tweaks and added treats, you can personalize your yogurt mask to target your own skin's needs.  I really like to use Greek yogurt, since it's really thick and doesn't drip off of your face, but any plain yogurt will do!

Great Basic Yogurt Face Mask
Take two heaping tablespoons of full fat or 2% plain yogurt and add to a small bowl.  Add a large teaspoon of honey and mix well.  Slather on your clean face and let it sit for 20-25 minutes.  Rinse off the mask with warm water and a washcloth.  Moisturize immediately after.  Your skin should be glowing!

Green Tea and Lemon Face Mask
This mask is great for congested or acne-prone skin, sensitive skin peeps, please omit the lemon juice!  The green tea and lemon fight bacteria and discoloration, leaving blotchy skin soothed and smoothed!  Add two heaping tablespoons of full fat or 2% plain yogurt to a small bowl.  Add 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon matcha green tea powder.  Mix well, apply to your clean face and let it sit for 20-25 minutes.  Rinse with warm water and moisturize immediately.

Honey and Carrot Face Mask
This is a great mask for sensitive or dry skin.  Take two heaping tablespoons of full-fat plain yogurt and add to a small bowl.  Add one tablespoon finely grated fresh carrot and one teaspoon of honey to the bowl and mix well.  Slather or your face and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.  Rinse off with lukewarm water and moisturize!

There really are hundreds of variations of this amazing mask, so find one that works for you!

4 comments:

  1. Would you believe that I was looking for homemade mask recipes this past Sunday?? This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is extra funny to me today because I had a dream last night that I went to your house and your hubby told me he was overcoming anorexia-and I suddenly remembered that I had yogurt all over my face. I told him he could eat some if he wanted to! How odd.
    Thanks for the new recipes. My face thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love making natural face masks. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out Goldteef! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...