Friday, January 7, 2011

Smog.

The whole Salt Lake Valley in filled to the brim with pollution.  This used to happen only one or twice a winter when I was a kid, but now it happens whenever we don't have a storm system constantly blowing fresh air into the valley.

I really do love Utah and Salt Lake, but the inversions we get in the wintertime are enough to make me want to move!  We consistently have some of the worst air in the nation in the winter months!  I feel pretty guilty about my driving habits lately, as well.  I drive about 75 miles a day with my job...while I am driving clients around to appointments and the like, I still can't help but cringe when I'm heading into work on the freeway and I can't even see our beautiful mountains because of the smog.

Luckily, we have a storm system moving in on Saturday to sweep the air clean, but I can't help but think about where all that pollution goes.  Everyone has been freaking out over these mass amounts of animals dying around the world, but why can't we stop and look at how much crap we're pumping into the environment daily?  Let's not mention the ripple effects from a huge offshore oil leak that occurred last year, either.

I think the poor Earth is finally speaking more loudly and clearly: what we are doing is not sustainable and it is damaging.  So, in this New Year, let's try our bests to make the small changes that lead to a healthier and happier planet.  I've mentioned a few things we can start doing, but I'll give a few more here to think about:
  • Recycle.  It's easy and its impact is huge.
  • Turn off the water when you brush your teeth.
  • Use dishtowels instead of paper towels to dry your hands.
  • Walk or ride public transportation when you can.
  • Don't let your car idle at drive-thru windows. Turn it off!
  • Run your dishwasher only with a full load!
  • Wash your hair every 2nd or 3rd day, it saves water and my hair looks better a day or two after a shampoo anyway;)!
  • On that same note, invest in some dry shampoo or shampoo powder to freshen up your hair on the non-wash days.
  • Keep your thermostat at 68 degrees or lower in the winter.  Just put a sweater on of you're cold instead of heating up the whole house!
  • Use eco-friendly laundry detergent, it's an easy switch and you won't notice the difference!
  • Get a reusable coffee mug and swear off disposable cups for good!
  • When your old light bulbs burn out, switch to the new compact fluorescent bulbs.
There!  If you choose to try just one or two of these over the weekend, you will be making a difference!  If you have any other great conservation ideas, please leave them in the comments so we all can give them a try!  I hope you have a lovely, smog-free weekend! xo.

1 comment:

  1. No more plastic bags! Once you make the switch to reusable canvas, you won't ever miss the plastic, in fact, it's nice not having a zillion poison plastic bags with no potential use!

    Stop eating meat. I know. But seriously, though.

    Buy reused instead of new.

    Grow a garden.

    Those are my favorite easies :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out Goldteef! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...